Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fears. And then GOD.

Fear #1: That I will wait (out in the rain so to speak) for the rest of my life and no one will fight for me. EVER.
So this fear ties back to about a million insecurities, and we won't go into that. And when I say fight for me, I'm not really sure what I mean by that. Fight for my affections. Fight for my honor (well that sounds incredibly fairy-tale-ish). Simply fight for my right to be recognized as a young woman, created by God, longing for affection? For that realization that I am loved? 
Anyhoo. As I'm typing away at my computer (I'm SUPPOSED to be college applications and leadership journaling, but potato potahto) I decided to look up this verse. I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of "be still" so that makes this verse especially interesting. 
"The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still." Exodus 14:14
The first time I read this verse, I just kind of took for granted that the Lord fighting for us meant in the areas of direct spiritual warfare. Like....if a member of my family was dying or I was just a complete LOSS for what to do and turned it over to the Lord.
But for some reason when I re-read it this time it didn't mean literally fighting for me. It meant....FIGHTING for me. 
The way a lover fights for their loved one who has temporarily strayed. The way the best friend (whose been in love with the girl since day one) finally decides to fight for her, even though she's chasing after the popular boy that LOOKS good, but is always a jerk in the end. 
"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting...." Proverbs 31:30
As for the be still part? Well. God can drag us kicking and screaming down the path He has planned for us. He can break us until the only place we look to is Him. Or...we can surrender and patiently wait for HIM to fight for US. 
I don't know if I got it out of my head the way I wanted it to. But literally....my mind is BLOWN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment