Tuesday, June 25, 2013

day 25: reaching my limits.

Somewhere between entering high school and entering college I forgot the basics of how to function as a human: talking, walking without running into things or hurting myself, how not to make myself look dumb in public....just the basics. Tried to run into my pool today. Ended up significantly jamming toes and now they are all swollen and chubby and hurting. I'll be here all week folks :D

Alrighty. Quote of the day! 

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
- T. S. Eliot - 

I've met, cherished and been fascinated by people who view limits as a challenge. Tell them they can't do something, and they'll set off to prove they can. This ranges from tales of glory on the football field, players motivated by immense scoring difference to come back faster and push themselves harder than they'd ever been able, to playing through pain, torn muscles, and dislocated limbs long after the coach said 'sit down'. They go as far as they can go, and believe they can go farther. They strive for the tenth of a second between silver and gold. Be it physically, mentally, spiritually or emotionally, they believe they can always do better. This seeking, living heartbeat comes with risk. There comes a point where 'going farther' authentically does shift into 'too far'. But falling is temporary, and the ascent back sure. I love these people....and I love the daring life and heart they drive into everything they do. 

I've known people who view limits as a caution. Something to be stretched when necessary, but equally respected and recognized as there for a reason. They don't quite reach the reckless heights of the challengers, but they know their responsibilities and what they're called to do. In respecting the place of limits in their life, they thrive within the boundaries they have been created. In acknowledging that they cannot do all that they want, they freely choose to do all that they can. Limits are viewed as a protection, not a punishment. Many of these people have pushed their limits in the past, and it is that experience that provides them the platform and foundation on which they now continue to build. I respect these people....as well as the wisdom, life experience, and clear minded thinking that they bring. 

Okay, so maybe I had some people in mind writing this....but I've found it mostly to be true :) My brain is fuzzy tonight, so here's hoping most of this made sense! 

No comments:

Post a Comment